How to use Pinging services with Wordpress
I did not really understand how Wordpress pinged different sites until recently. In Wordpress 2.5, click on ‘Settings’ and ‘Writing’. At the bottom of the screen you will see something which says ‘Update Services’ and you will probably see one site listed – http://rpc.pingomatic.com/.
To make full benefit of this pinging service you should add more blog services to this list. By adding to this list, you can have your blog pinged to each site automatically once you publish a post. This lets search engines (and other users) know that your blog has been updated with new content.
The main advantages to getting your posts pinged to more sites is:
1. Other people may link to your blog when they see your content
2. The search engines will index you faster
3. Services like Technorait will spider your site
4. You should be able to get some instant traffic
I don’t know if this is true or not, but apparently you can be banned from some sites if the same post is pinged 5 times. When you edit a post (as opposed to writing one) it is also pinged, so if you do a lot of editing of the same post it can be potentially problematic.
There are a couple of flaws in this system, namely that Wordpress won’t ping if you future timestamp a post and there is no log available, so you don’t know which sites it has pinged and whether or not the pinging is actually working or not.
There is a good plugin called the Smart Update Pinger which helps resolves these issues which I’ll explain further down the page.
Below are some of the better blogging sites you should add to the list in your admin panel under ‘Updated Services’.
The Smart Update Pinger will:
1. Ping services only when a new post is created, not when a post is updated
2. Ping services for future posts only when the post appears on your blog
3. Provide you with a detailed overview of each ping operation the plugin makes
4. Provide you with a “ping now” functionality
5. Check if a service supports extended or normal pings and ping accordingly
6. Use the new URL instead of just the homepage URL to ping, resulting in a much higher quality ping (extended pings)
Just make sure you set the rights to 777 using your ftp software for the smart updater plugin