Collapsible Category Widget/Plug-in – WP-d-tree Plugin
I used to use the Collapsible Categories Widgets by Leo Jackson until his site went down temporarily. This forced me to look elsewhere for my other sites and I came across the WP-d-tree plugin. I’m not sure why, but it took me ages to come across this plugin and it is a real life-saver as I need expandable categories on most of my sites. This plugin allowed more flexible than others I’ve seen before and was easy to install and use.
You can download the plugin from here
The cool thing about this plugin is that it allows you to play a fair bit with the look and feel of your text because it uses Scriptaculous.
In some instances you get a fatal error when you activate the plug-in as I did. To fix this click ‘Design’ and you should see ‘Wp-d-tree’ in your list of options. Click on the link and scroll down until you see ‘Scriptaculous Effecs’. By default, the check box is left blank and scriptaculous effects are not enabled which can cause the fatal error. Click on this check box and then on ‘update settings’ and you should be okay to go. I didn’t like the default font colour so I changed mine to match the same text colour as my site.
The installation instructions are as follows.
- Extract the files and transfer the ‘wp-dtree-30′ folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to the ‘WP-dTree’ option menu under ‘Presentation’ and set your preferences.
- Go to ‘Presentation’ -> ‘Widgets’ and drag-n-drop WP-dTree Archives / Categories / Pages to the relevant section of your sidebar.
- If you think that widgets are lame: go to the template file that you want the archives to show on and copy paste the relevant code: